Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recent study findings.

I found an awesome, older study on pre-e this week as well as brand new research coming out and wanted to share both.

The first is a 2008 study done by Yale. I cannot BELIEVE I missed this one! It states that pregnant women who consumed high cocoa-content (dairy-free) dark chocolate decreased their risk for pre-eclampsia! How cool! It has to be 70% cocoa or higher to be dairy free - and it needs to be dairy free because the proteins in the dairy interfere with the antioxidants. So I immediately went out and bought 70% dark chocolate and will now eat a small square of the bar each day, yum!

The second is a study that, to be honest, freaks me the hell out. It's a study that finds that there is potentially a battle going on between the cells in the placenta (something cells from dad help create) and the mother's uterus - and dad's cells have something to do with it. I can't explain it well at ALL, but this article at Science Daily can, and there was also a very easy-to-read/understand article written by the New York Times that came out today. Definitely read both of those links for more information because I just can't do the medical jargon justice :) But from my gist, you can see why it freaks me out a bit, right? This could all be Josh's fault! Ha, poor guy. But the study is helpful. If I get pre-e again, which I do know is a real possibility despite my prevention methods, then maybe I will be at a bit more peace knowing it wasn't all "my" fault. (Not that Josh can control his cells or anything, either, but you know what I mean :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment