Monday, October 3, 2011

My herbal infusion.

I didn't know much about herbs before I got pregnant, but I started to do some research about them as part of my overall 'healthy pregnancy' plan. Specifically, I wanted to use some herbs known to promote cardiovascular health and low blood pressure. A friend of mine turned me on to an herbal infusion with the following: skullcap, red raspberry leaf, nettle & dandelion root extract. So what are they all for?

  • Skullcap is known to lower blood pressure by keeping arteries open & promotes healthy blood flow.
  • Red raspberry leaf is a common pregnancy herb, known to help tone the uterus.
  • Nettle aids in lowering blood pressure. (I found out later in my pregnancy that it also aids with keeping blood vessels open, healthy & flowing, and kept my varicose veins at bay!)
  • Dandelion root acts as a blood purifier that helps both the kidney & liver remove toxins and poisons from the blood. It is also restorative to the liver.

Below are the pictures of the herbal infusion. Each night I heat up water in a tea pot, pour the water over 1 spoonful of each of the 3 herbs in the mason jar, then I add a bit of agave nectar or honey for sweetness. I put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours. In the morning I strain the herbs, add dandelion root extract and drink the infusion throughout the day! I typically drink it in two servings and it tastes good cold or hot.

The herbs all afloat in the mason jar.
The next day: Herbs ready to be strained, then I add the dandelion root extract!

No comments:

Post a Comment