Thursday, January 19, 2012

Meeting the first goal!


29 weeks: on the inside

Yesterday I hit 29 weeks, which was my first goal this pregnancy.  It's funny, as I sit here admiring this lovely pregnant belly of mine, I can picture exactly what this little one would look like if they were on the outside, because I had my own 29 weeker. Babycenter reported that baby would be around 2.5 lbs and 15 inches long...yep, sounds about right. Kieran was 2lb 10 oz and 15 inches long when he was born. He was still covered in soft blond hair everywhere. His ears were set really low, still. His face was red and wrinkly and scrunched up. He had no fat on his body - he was literally skin and bones. Josh and I love to joke about his butt, or lack thereof - when you have no fat on your body, your backside is literally just a back and a hole! It was a funny sight to see, and I would always pinch his butt when he started to get some fat on there. It was just about two years ago, and still seems rather surreal.  I am 29 weeks pregnant now, and I cannot imagine delivering this baby now, even though it happened to me. It's just too early. I wasn't ready then, and I'm not ready now. But, I'm here at 29 weeks still healthy, with no evidence my body's turning on me this time!

29.5 weeks - on the outside

While the ultimate goal is a term baby (37 weeks), it is my understanding that most women who have pre-eclampsia multiple times deliver even earlier the next time - I'm proof of that, actually. With Maia, my pre-e was diagnosed at 37 weeks and I delivered at 37 weeks, 3 days. With Kieran, it was diagnosed at 29 weeks, HELLP syndrome at 29+4 and I delivered him at 29 weeks, 5 days. So to set an initial goal of 29 weeks meant that I would at least get to where I was before - familiar territory. At least baby would not be born any earlier, which would be out of our comfort zone and more risks for baby's health, of course.

Well, I made it to 29! When I hit 30 I think I may feel a little weight off my shoulders, and then I will continue to take it week by week. My next goal is 35 weeks. Why 35? Well, for some reason, I've always thought this baby was going to come in March. Hmm, could it be because both my other children, whose due dates were NOT in March, came in March? Maybe! But I just feel like it's going to happen. With the other two, I had no idea I'd have March babies. Maia was due April 5th, 2008, and I set myself up to go past my due date, as many first time moms do. She was induced due to pre-e and born March 18th. Kieran was due May 28th. End of May, how could I suspect a March baby then? When he happened to be induced March 17th and born that day, it was too weird. I remember talking to him during the induction and encouraging him to come out that day, so he could have his own birthday. So, 35 weeks puts me right at March 1st. But ultimately, I want to hit term - 37 weeks, which brings us to March 14th, I believe. Same week at my kids' birthdays, ha! If I go past term, it would be a HUGE blessing. Heck, if I go past 37+3 I will be the most pregnant I've ever been!

Having little goals like this is nice for me. It's something to look forward to, but also something to celebrate when I meet that goal. I have so much support and love surrounding this pregnancy and so many people rooting for us, so it's fun to share the "accomplishments."

No comments:

Post a Comment