Tuesday, January 10, 2012

update on last few prenatals

I have my 28 week appointment coming up and I realize I haven't updated on my last few prenatal appointments. I wanted to mention a few things about each one.

16 week appointment: This seems like a long time ago now! But the interesting thing about this appointment was that when I tested my urine, it showed up as having protein in it. (If you see a homebirth midwife, you test your own urine with a urine dipstick that measures different levels. It's super cool because you compare the colors on the stick to the jar and see if anything's off. )
I thought - what!? Protein!? My midwife mentioned it could be a bad catch, but I suspected that protein showed up because I had just had my protein smoothie and about 16 ounces of water by appointment time at 10AM, and not much else. I was interested to see what would happen at the next appointment.

20 week appointment: Another 10AM appointment - my mother-in-law came to this one, as she was in town. Josh, my MIL and myself were both able to hear baby through the fetoscope, so that was fun! At this appointment, my blood pressure was a bit higher than normal. Usually it's 120/70, this time it was 132/72. This time, I realized that I had not yet had my protein smoothie that morning - ran out of time before preschool drop-off, I think. My urine tested fine, but the blood pressure was a little high, so we talked about how the high protein diet does help keep BP down. My midwife mentioned she'd rather see a little bit of protein in my urine from having had a lot of protein, versus a higher BP.

24 week appointment: This appointment was in the evening, though just before dinner. I had had quite a bit of protein throughout the day, and was interested to see how everything would pan out. This time I had no protein in the urine sample and a beautiful blood pressure - 124/68, I believe? So that was exciting!

Tomorrow I say "HELLO, THIRD TRIMESTER!" Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment